Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I just met David Sedaris!

David Sedaris is on a book tour for his latest book, When You Are Engulfed in Flames. Today he was in Tucson reading at the University Bookstore. I got to the bookstore early. Fortunately, so did he. Instead of signing books at 6:00 after the reading, he started signing them at 3:30. By 4:30 my book was signed, which is fantastic as there were hundreds of suckers who showed up late who will now be in line for hours.

I told him that I'd seen him at the Chicago Theatre a few times, and he asked me what I was doing in Tucson. I told him the story, and then he looked at me and said he was concerned - was I sleeping in my car? how was I paying for gas? I assured him all was fine. He signed my book, "To Susan, my free spirited friend." I love him now more than I did before.

If you ever have a chance to see him read, take it. His books are great, but his readings are superb. The intonations, the dramatic effect, the facial expressions, it really is amazing. The first time I saw him read in Chicago, I laughed so hard I hyperventilated. It got so bad, things literally started to go black and I realized I was about to pass out. I had to stop listening so I didn't require medical attention; it wasn't the embarrassment of having the paramedics show up in the middle of the theatre that was my concern; it was that I didn't want to miss the rest of the reading. Seriously, he's THAT good. Go see him when he's in your town.

1 comment:

Mags said...

That is fantastic! Looks like he's headed my way at the end of October. Thanks for the link!