Saturday, March 29, 2008

Another Hatless Walk Through the Desert at Noon

I really had intended to get to Saguaro National Park in the early morning, but slept through my alarm...by a few hours. And, still haven’t found a sun hat. So, I doubled down on the sunscreen and hit the park. I did two short hikes, very nice. SO peaceful.

It wouldn’t be a weekend in Tucson without discovering something else that can kill me. Today’s discovery: Africanized Bees. Much like Gob, I’m not down with the bees. The National Park Service’s advice should you find yourself under attack: "run away as fast as you can. Bees don’t like to get too far from the hive, so after a half mile, they’ll stop attacking." I doubt I could run a half mile under the best conditions, the bees would surely win that one.

I still am amazed at how blue the skies are here. The cacti set against the sky are gorgeous, the photos don’t do them justice:



Well over 100 years old:

"Baby saguaro", probably 15 years old.


Birds and other animals live in saguaro, seeking shelter from the heat and water stored in the cactus. Here's a close up of an entry point:


Skeleton of a dead saguaro.


View of the valley from the summit of the hiking trail:

No comments: