Sunday, November 9, 2008

Sportsapalooza

It's been a very big week, sports-wise.

Thursday night, I went to my first U of A basketball game. This is a big deal. Skip is a yooooge fan of basketball in general, but of the Cats in particular. If you're a college basketball fan, you may have heard something about the coaching drama that's unfolded over the past few weeks. It was an exhibition game, but the first test of the team's new interim leadership. I didn't go so well at first; at the end of the half, they were up only one point over University of Incarnate Word. University of Who? U of A is a great team, UIW is a division three team, and they were quite a challenge. But, the second half went much better and the Cats pulled it out. Whew.

Last night we went to see the Ice Cats, the U of A hockey team. Not an NCAA team, hockey here is a club sport. But, a club sport that sells tickets to games and has a loyal non-student following. They played Chicago's DuPaul University. Both teams were...not good. I guess it's club hockey in the desert, you can't expect much. It was great to be at a game, and we had fun. The Ice Cats lost, not looking like they're going to have a great season.

Yesterday afternoon - I played kickball. Yup, kickball. It was a lot of fun. Kickball smack talk is high-larious. No one took things seriously, so it didn't matter that most of us were terrible. I scored a run and pitched a no-hitter one inning, but I was frequently the third out. D'oh! Oh well. Sadly, I'm quite sore today from all the activity. How sad.

No comments: