Monday, August 4, 2008

Quick Quiz: Where do YOU think I was this weekend?

Take a look at these photos:







Where do you think they were taken?

A) Colorado

B) Napa Valley

C) Reims, France

D) Southern Arizona Wine Country


Believe me, I'm as shocked as you are to see that there is land like this in southern Arizona. Just a few miles off the I-10, we entered wine country. Man, it was gorgeous. I kept saying, "I can't believe I'm still in Arizona." Southern AZ is unusually green right now, so this was pretty trippy to see. Also trippy - most of the wines were actually pretty good. Never would have guessed that.

The reason for the trip was Sonoita's Wine Harvest celebration. While at the harvest fete, we sampled wines, had some food, petted some horses, and stomped some grapes. While in my head the grape stomping was going to be more of a head to head stompin' competition with several tubs lined up next to each other, it was sadly pretty lame. Each team got in the same vat one after the other, and the judging was on style and sassiness, not pure grape stomping aptitude. Oh well, we had fun doing it and none of us slipped into the slushy sticky muck (easier said than done).


All in all, a great day in Arizona.

The bin in which we stomped grapes. Not exactly what I had in mind.

A great example of Arizona weather - sunny on the left, rainy on the right, biker in the middle.

No comments: