Sunday, March 23, 2008

This Week in Tucson

A pretty good week in Tucson. At Beth's recommendation, I went to see an interesting band on Wednesday night at a bar on 4th Street, had a very lovely time. Haven't been sleeping well, so Friday I took it easy and went to bed early. Not Eric early, but early for me.

Saturday I went to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. Not really sure what I was expecting, but I clearly didn't plan the trip well. I went on this walk through the desert at high noon (84 degrees in the strong sun), without a hat, wearing black. Way to go! It was lovely, despite the "watch out for snakes!" signs. Pictures below. I'm already sick of all the clothes I have with me, so last night I headed to the Tucson Mall. Please insert your Jersey girl/mall jokes in the comments.

Today I went to Kartchner Caverns. Photographs aren't allowed, which is too bad as the caves were beautiful. That link will take you to some lovely shots.

Being a northeasterner, I'm always shocked when things weren't discovered hundreds of years ago. Half the towns I lived in in Massachusetts were founded in the 1600s. It was shocking to learn that this cave system wasn't *discovered* until 1974, it didn't become protected land until 1988, and, it didn't open to the public until 1999. 1999!! It just shocks my Yankee sense of history. Also shocking my Yankee self? Signs for what to do if you encounter a mountain lion. Apparently I was in "cat country". One of the tips was "if attacked, fight back". Good grief.


Photos from the Desert Museum. First the animals, or, 'Things that could possibly kill or maim me on the walk back to the car':


Lizard/Iguana/something on the rock (apparently I wasn't paying much attention at the museum). When I turned a corner, I looked back and saw a squirrel perched atop the rock. Popular place.

Billy Goats:


Prairie Dogs with a Road Runner:


That tortoise was wise enough to seek shelter from the sun, so "image not found":



Wolf:




Mountain lion:

I couldn't bring myself to photograph any of the two dozen+ types of rattlesnakes on display. *shudder*

The iconic Saguaro cacti:


Assorted types of Agave:

Desert Garden:



No comments: